New technologies require new manufacturing processes with exotic materials.
The NPI Solution:
You can’t win tomorrow’s challenges with yesterday’s technology.
As a manufacturing solutions provider for Southern California’s tech community, NPI’s advanced assembly capabilities help you overcome the challenges of the rapidly changing manufacturing landscape, enabling you to innovate and grow.
Fully Automated Advanced Assembly for PCB Prototypes
EMS (electronics manufacturing services)
NPI’s advanced assembly solutions help companies overcome obstacles to new material and component packages providing quality DFM (design for manufacturability) feedback on the new manufacturing profiles. We work with a team of industry thought leaders to design customer solutions that meet the demands of heat, solder, and precise placement required of today’s and tomorrow’s semiconductors.
For example, miniaturization and exotic new materials are driving markets from aerospace to medical device control systems, resulting in smaller, lighter, thinner, and more flexible components. Our advanced assembly precisely integrates these electronic and mechanical components into tight spaces without compromising performance or quality.
Advanced assembly equipment meets or exceeds:
- IPC Class 2 and Class 3 requirements
- Assembly certifications IPC-A0-610; Class 1, 2, & 3, IPC / EIA J-STD-001 with and without Space Addendum
In addition, NPI Services:
- Uses three levels of final inspection to deliver high-quality products built to specifications and SOW (statement of work) compliance.
- Offers quick turn assembly options ranging from 2-10 days, in addition to scheduled production runs, based on your delivery requirements.
- Supports high-mix, prototype, and mid-to low-volume quantities with extended capabilities to handle runs of several thousand pieces or more.
AS9100 and ISO 13485 Quality Management Systems
- We document all materials assembled in your product/prototype including date code, lot code, and country code.
- Our proprietary paperless document control process meets confidential cybersecure CMMC NIST SP 800‐171 (DFARS 252.204‐7012) quality requirements.
- Continuous quality education keeps our entire team up to date on changing and emerging quality standards to ensure you are always in compliance.
The benefit to you? Quality products that work exactly the way you designed them.
Assembly Equipment Capabilities:
SMT Advanced Assembly Lines. Production runs can be moved or shared at any time to meet your schedule requirements with ease. We operate eight Samsung “Pick and Place” machines that are feeder and program compatible.
Selective Solder Station. This is soldering done right. The station includes a pre-heat and nitrogen bath solder pot to eliminate oxidation. Selective soldering individually fluxes and solders each connection, avoiding the need for masking and solder disturbance associated with wave soldering.
2 Nine-zone Convection Reflow Ovens. Includes a built-in thermocouple and profiling software system. Get the profile right by testing new device packages and PCB material prior to assembly.
AOI (Automated Optical Inspection). This sophisticated PCB assembly tool includes a five-camera system with 10-megapixel capacity detects component orientation, value, and presence. It includes a laser for confirming BGA coplanarity, and program capability for first-level solder and in-process solder inspections.
Aqueous in-line, closed loop, wash system operating with pure deionized water. Water filtration uses two resin and two carbon filters and is monitored for resistivity.
110KV X-ray Digital Imaging System with auto-detect characteristics capable of performing a 100% BGA x-ray.
Hot Bar Soldering Machine for soldering flex circuits to rigid PCBs.
BGA Rework Station. It features nine IR-programmable top/bottom heating zones for large (18”x22”) and complex PCBs. Fully programmable soldering profiles permit simultaneous temperature measurement feedback on up to five points on the circuit board. Reflow can be watched in real time via a 3.2-megapixel high-magnification video camera. A pick-and-place arm with a split-optic position system precisely places large BGA, TQPF, QFN, and other components.
Supported assembly technologies
- SMT, thru-hole, back panel (board sizes from ¼” x ¼” to 16” x 38”)
- Gold Wire Bonding
- BGA reballing (down to 12 mil balls)
Component placement capability and preparation
- Passives down to 01005 size machine placed
- BGA, VFBGA, CGA to .3mm pitch
- Leadless chip carriers / CSP, QFN
- Reels, carriers, tubes, cut tape, or loose pieces
- Water-soluble leaded and lead-free
- 52In/48Sn low temp (140C) solder
Electronic circuit board repair or rework capabilities include:
- BGA remove and replace
- BGA reball
- Cuts and jumpers to simulate design changes
- Modify packages to fit pads
- Product re-configuration
- Component remove and replace